Monday, 2 April 2012
Thames Valley Berkshire Local Enterprise Partnership Announces Impressive Line-Up of Speakers For The Business Show 2012
• Local Enterprise Partnership to deliver series of presentations at business collaboration event
The Thames Valley Berkshire Local Enterprise Partnership (TVB LEP) today released the names of the TVB LEP speakers who will present at the ‘Collaborating for Growth Business Show 2012’, a one day event to encourage business growth and collaboration in the Thames Valley, which will take place on 18th April from 8.00 am to 6.00 pm at the Madjeski Stadium.
The TVB LEP speakers will present on the following topics:
• Steve Lamb, Chair of the TVB LEP, will offer a global perspective on Thames Valley Berkshire’s economy and the importance of inward investment in the region.
• Ruth Bagley, Chief Executive of Slough Borough Council, will deliver a talk on the Western Rail Access to Heathrow (WRAtH) campaign, a simple, low cost, technically and financially deliverable scheme which offers economic benefits and jobs growth to the region.
• David Knowles-Leak, Regional Chair of the Federation of Small Businesses, is presenting jointly with Anne Murdoch, Principal of West Berkshire College, on skills and education in Berkshire, sector skills gaps and improving the work readiness of those seeking employment.
A series of keynote speeches will also be delivered by the following speakers, focusing on leadership abilities and how to succeed and win in business and life:
• Steve Lamb, Chair of the TVB LEP and Senior Director of Oracle Corporation
• Marcelle Speller, OBE, Founder and Chief Executive of Localgiving.com
• Kevin Gaskell, Berkshire Entrepreneur, Explorer and Motivational Speaker recognised as a ‘top 40 leader under 40’ and Chairman to a number of companies
• Eamonn Dolan, Manager of the Reading FC Youth Academy
• Henry Hirsch, Coach at Reading Rowing Club
• Matt Rogan, Managing Director of Two Circles
• Jim McNeil, Polar Explorer and Leadership Expert
Steve Lamb, Chair of the TVB LEP comments: “This is an excellent group of speakers and the topics really underline what we here at the TVB LEP believe, that Berkshire is a great place to live, work and do business. We have three key areas of focus at TVB LEP: improving transport and communications infrastructure; increasing employment, skills and education; and maintaining and attracting inward investment. To achieve this we need businesses to get involved and help collaborate for growth. There are 42,000 SMEs in Berkshire alone and we hope all businesses, whether large or small, will join us at the 2012 Business Show.”
The presentations will take place from 9.00am to 11.30am, and from 2.00pm to 3.30pm. In between these sessions will be a series of Apprentice Workshops, showcasing work from some of the brightest and best apprentices in the Thames Valley Berkshire region and highlighting what funding is available. There will be five employer-run workshops where businesses will be on hand to tell their apprenticeship success stories.
• Henley based business, PJ Sparks Electrical Contractors Ltd will discuss why ‘Apprenticeships Are Good For Business’
• Compressor Products International will be talking about why they recruit apprentices, and the benefits they have brought to the business
• David McGill, HR Manager of construction company Kier presents on ‘Apprenticeships – From An Employers Perspective’
• IT training specialists QA Training from Slough will be addressing businesses on ‘Busting The Myths And Preconceptions About Apprenticeships’
• The National Apprenticeship Service’s Julie Rossington holds the final workshop where she will be talking about how apprenticeships can work for businesses and the government grants currently available’
The apprentice workshops will be essential for businesses interested in finding out more about taking on apprentices, where fellow business people and apprenticeship experts will be available to answer any questions they may have.
Businesses and individuals who come to the Business Show will be able to support the TVB LEP firstly by becoming a member of the TVB LEP, and secondly by signing up to voice their support for several of its key initiatives including the Western Rail Access to Heathrow (WRAtH) campaign and the drive to widen access to broadband across the region.
Organised jointly by the TVB LEP and Berkshire Media Group, the biggest independent newspaper publisher in the county, the Business Show 2012 has already filled all 50 exhibition spaces for local businesses and is anticipating in excess of 600 visitors. The show, which is free to visitors, is designed to accommodate every business professional and maximise business potential with high-level speakers, exhibitions, seminars, networking opportunities and workshops. The event is supported by key business membership organisations including the Institute of Directors for Berkshire, the Thames Valley Chamber of Commerce and the Federation of Small Businesses.
For more information please visit http://www.bmgevents.co.uk/